Prepositions for kids
Prepositions Definition for kids: A preposition is a word that occurs before a noun (or a pronoun) and which expresses the relation between it (noun or pronoun) and some part of the remaining sentence.
Another Definition: A Preposition is a word that is used before a noun or a pronoun to show its relation with some other words in the sentence.
Read the following examples –
- There is a bridge over the river.
- I am afraid of lizards.
- Where is the bridge? over the river.
- What am I afraid of lizards.
List of Prepositions for kids
Some Useful Prepositions
Here we have a list of prepositions according to Time and date, Travel and movement, Place.
Time and Date:
In, on, at, by, from, to, till, until, during, for, since, before, etc. at dawn, at bed time, at dinner time.
Example: The train leaves at 10 a.m.
On Wednesday, on Diwali, on August 15th,
Example: All the guests arrived on Christmas Eve.
In August, in summer vacation, in the morning
Example: I’ll be able to finish my work in an hour’s time.
Travel and Movement:
from, to, by, on, in, into, onto, at, out, etc.
We travel by bus, by car, by boat, by air, on a bicycle, on foot,
Example: We travelled from one place to another by bus.
at, in, over, under, above, between, towards, among, behind, across, along, etc.
We live in a country, at a small village, on a farm.
At is used with places usually small towns and villages. In is used with countries and large towns,
Examples: Radha lives in England at Suburban town.
Amit is a careless boy and has made a number of mistakes while copying the following passage for the book. There is one mistake in each line. Underline each error and write the corrections in the space provided.
- One day Vimal stepped with a chemist’s shop and said, _____.
- “Do you have something by cure a headache?” _____.
- The chemist took a bottle into a self _____.
- He held it in Vimal’s nose and removed the cork. _____.
- The smell was so strong that Vimal could not bear it.
- “What have you done?” he asked. “It has nearly choked me.”
- “But hasn’t the medicine cured you at your headache?” _____
- “You fool! It was my mother who was suffering on headache” _____
All the words you have replaced above are prepositions.
Underline the prepositions in the sentences given below-
- Kolkata is situated on the banks of river Hooghly.
- He was among the crowd.
- We took shelter under the tree.
- Divide the chocolate between the two girls.
- The old man lies in bed all day.
- I am fond of ice cream.
- They visited Paris during the summer holidays.
- They are talking about the football game.
- India is playing against Pakistan in the World Cup.
- We rowed across the lake.
Underline the correct prepositions –
- Our plane is flying (around, above) the clouds.
- There is a new bookshop (across, between) the street.
- Tom is running (with, after) his dog.
- Shekhar is walking (with, along) the sea shore.
- The snowball is rolling (up, down) the hill.
- He got a bicycle (by from) his parents on his birthday.
- The mouse was killed (with, by) our servant.
- The stool stands (between, among) the two tables.
- Pour the soup (in, into) the jug.
- He belongs (to, form) a poor family.
Fill blanks with the prepositions-
- I am sorry _____ the delay.
- He comes _____ a poor family.
- He walked _____ the bank of the river.
- Take _____ some sugar _____ from the large tin.
- He walked _____ the bank of the river.
- I shall start my new job _____ tomorrow.
- She lives _____ Dadar _____ Mumbai.
- Take _____ your coat.
- Her birthday is _____ Monday.
- Priyanka bought a dress _____ herself.
In the following sentences, one word has been omitted from each line. Write the words in the space provided.
Rana Sanga was the King / Mewar (OF)
- I greeted him / folded hands.
- My parents have given me permission / the party.
- Aunt Polly asked / a silk thread.
- I have invited my friends / dinner.
- One day Rahul went / the park / his dog.
Atul – Where are you going Kapil?
Kapil – I am going _____ the market.
Atul – What will you buy _____ the market?
Kapil – I will buy a pair _____ jeans _____ my younger sister.
Atul – What is the name _____ your sister?
Kapil – My sister’s name is Archana. She studies _____ Class IV. She is fond _____ dancing. She is very good _____ studies.
Atul – Convey my greetings _____ your sister.
Kapil – I will, but she doesn’t talk _____ strangers.
Prepositions for kids PDFPrepositions for kids PDF
Comment below for more information.