Verb for kids
Verb Definition for Kids: In grammar, a doing word is called a Verb. A verb is a word that says something about a person or thing. A verb is the most important word in a sentence.
Here we have Verbs for kids, for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grade.
20 examples of verb
- The cowboy rides a black horse.
- This little bird hops on the window.
- I like collecting things.
- Pavan listens to music on the bus.
- Neha goes shopping on Sundays.
- My sister does martial arts.
- My friends and I play video games.
- John rode his bike.
- The boy sat down.
- Bunty likes his toys.
- Daniel sees me.
- The principle is in the room.
- Octopus has eight legs.
- The burger tastes good.
- Kunal skates to tuition.
- The novel has a blue cover.
- The artist drew a picture.
- Komal eats peas.
- Babies cry a lot.
- Jaya ate her lunch.
Make a list of your hobbies.
All the above words are action words — the doer is some action. All these words are verbs.
Kinds of verbs
There are two types of verb
- Transitive verbs
- Intransitive verbs
How we can identify a verb is transitive or intransitive?
Its very simple, to identify the verb is it transitive or intransitive first of all we have to identify whether it requires an object to express a complete thought or not. If the verb requires object then the verb is a transitive verb, otherwise, the verb is intransitive.
A transitive verb expresses an action that passes over from the subject to the object.
20 Examples of the transitive verb
- Neha sings a song.
- Megha reads a book.
- Please bring me a cup of tea.
- Do not buy vegetables from that shopkeeper.
- My coat cost a lot of money.
- My children get good marks in the exam.
- My father gives me a gift on my birthday
- I leave home at 8:00 at night.
- Could you please lend me Ten dollars?
- How you can make money online with the help of the computer?
- My friend offered me a bicycle.
- I owe you a hundred dollars.
- All the students passed the exam this year.
- Don’t forget to pay the bill for electricity.
- I love to play badminton.
- He promised me that he would come to the party.
- They read the novel every day.
- They refused me to enter into the bar.
- My friend sends me homework with the help of an e-mail.
- Nishant sings songs at the Taj hotel every Tuesday night.
An intransitive verb expresses an action which does not pass over from the subject to an object.
It expresses the state of:-
- being or
- static action or
- self-contained action: the action which does not pass over from the subject to an object.
Examples of Intransitive verbs
- The colour of that rose is yellow. (being)
- The girl sings. (static action)
- The boat sank suddenly. (self-contained action)
- It is raining outside.
- She smiled on seeing him.
- She has been working overtime to make ends meet.
- The room is dark as electricity has failed.
- The sun is shining brightly.
- They jumped.
- The dog ran.
- She sang.
- A light was shining.
- Lion roar.
- We all breathe.
- A period of prosperity has started.
- The sun is rising.
- Bird fly.
- Child cry.
- I don’t care.
- Neha is dancing.
Verbs List for kids
Verb Exercise/worksheet for kids
Here we have 10 exercises/worksheets for kids if you are a teacher or a student these exercises help you understand the topic better.
Pick out verbs in the following sentences:
- Rohan is sitting on the balcony and is reading a Novel.
- The child scattered all the toys.
- All children should obey their teacher.
- Sourav feeds the fish.
- Ginni looked for her walking stick everywhere.
- Neha lost her earrings in the garden.
- Priyanka went to her parent’s house.
- The elephant trumpeted loudly.
- Kamal screamed in pain.
- Yash could see the clouds from the aeroplane.
Put verbs in the blank spaces:
- Vishal _____ the car.
- Grandmother _____ on a rocking chair.
- My sister _____ a cake.
- Damini and her friends _____ hide and seek in the park.
- The thief _____ the necklace.
- Sahil _____ for a long walk.
- Tarun _____ the piano beautifully.
- Arun _____ gracefully.
- Frank _____ my new vase.
- The river _____ splendid at night.
Put the missing verbs (is, are, was, were, has, have) in the following sentences:
- The sound of music _____ heard all over the house.
- Each of the players _____ given a prize.
- This pen _____ good.
- Those pens _____ expensive.
- The children _____ dancing on stage.
- John _____ watching a cartoon.
- Riddhima _____ wearing a red dress.
- The sound of bells _____ heard all over the house.
- Once there _____ two friends.
- Every inch of the house _____ searched but the golden coins _____ not found.
Fill the blanks with appropriate verbs given in the box:
writes, is digging, fall, have, is ploughing, wash, feeds, jumped, is cooking, are playing
- The children _____ cricket in the playground.
- The Gardner _____ a pit.
- In autumn the leaves _____ from the trees.
- Some monkeys _____ long tails.
- The farmer _____ the field.
- Madan _____ the sparrows.
- The frog _____ out of the pond.
- Ruskel Bond _____ novels.
- My sister _____ lunch for the guests.
- We should _____ our hands before eating.
Fill the blanks with correct verbs from the brackets:
- The lion _____ (roar/roars)
- The birds _____ (sing/sings)
- My shoes _____ me. (hurt/hurts)
- The cow _____ grass. (eat/eats)
- Ducks _____ to swim in a pond. (like/likes)
- The gardener _____ with his spade. (dig/digs)
- Radhika _____ to play. (wish/wishes)
- Principal _____ to see Rahim. (want/wishes)
- Shekhar _____ a cup of tea. (want/wants)
- My friends _____ to the garden daily. (go/goes)
Use one of these nouns and of these verbs to complete each sentence:
Noun – camera, knife, brush, oars, scissors
Verb – paint, row, shoot, peel, cut
A gardener uses a spade to dig the garden.
- An artist uses a _____ to _____ a picture.
- A photographer uses _____ to _____ a lion.
- A tailor uses _____ to _____ the cloth.
- Anti uses a _____ to _____ onions.
- A boatman uses _____ to _____ the boat.
Complete each of these sentences with a verb ending in -‘ing’ given in the bracket:
- Kavita is making tea. (make)
- Anjul is _____ a letter to her mother. (write)
- Shyam is _____ her first cake. (bake)
- Patrik is _____ the eggs in a frying pan. (fry)
- Ankur likes _____ his new bicycle. (ride)
- Mrs. Gulsan is _____ in the west. (set)
- The girls are _____ in the river. (swim)
- The stars are _____ in the sky. (shine)
- Devender was _____ with fear. (shake)
- Tarun was _____ her new car. (drive)
Underline the right verb.
Ships (sail, walk, fly) across the sea.
- Honey (smells, tastes, feels) sweet.
- Wood (smells, tastes, feels) on water.
- My father (light, smokes, burns) a fire.
- The plane (ran, flew, drove) from Goa to Mumbai.
- The girl (appears, thinks, becomes) to be pleased.
- Sheena (ate, chopped, cut) some onions with a knife.
- Alok (bought, buy, bring) a lovely gift for me.
- The sparrow is (chirping, shining, brushing).
- Sharad (plays, draws, throws) hockey in the stadium.
- Roses (taste, smell, drink) sweet.
With the help of above chart, make five sentences. Also underline the verbs:
- Raghav is drinking milk.
Underline the verb in each of the following sentences and write whether it is transitive (T) or Intransitive (IT)
- Anu sat on a swing. _____
- The prince danced gracefully. _____
- Rohan baked a large chocolate truffle cake. _____
- Stars twinkle. _____
- We were watching the Grand Prix on television. _____
- Suraj was laughing. _____
- A cheering crowd greeted the President. _____
- The dog whined loudly. _____
- Messi kicked the ball hard. _____
- The lion roared ferociously. _____
Verbs for kids PDF
Download pdf for free for kids, class/grade 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. Full content PDF for free.Verb for kids
Verb for kids (342 downloads)