Adjectives for kids
Here we definition of adjectives for kids/kindergarten.
Definition: An adjective is a word used to add something to the meaning of a noun or a pronoun.
What is an adjective?
An adjective is a describing word. It tells us something about the noun it qualifies.
Use of adjective in the sentence
- The tall boy met a girl. (The boy is tall)
- The boy met a tall girl. (The girl is tall)
- Janvi is a beautiful girl.
- I don’t have many friends.
- Akbar was a great king.
In the 3rd sentence, beautiful is an adjective that describes the noun ‘girl‘. Similarly in sentence 4th many is an adjective.
Adjectives list for kids
The adjectives list for kids is divided into 4 parts, Shape, Size, Touch, Taste.
We will discuss more examples in another post.
Types of Adjectives for kids
Here we have 7 kinds of adjectives.
- Adjective of Quality: Shows the quality, such as tall, old, large, etc. Example – He is tall boy.
- Adjective of Quantity: Gives the quantity of a thing, such as some, little, enough, etc. Example: – I have some money.
- Adjective of Number: Gives the number of a thing, etc. Example – One, two, all, few, some, second, both every, each, etc.
- Demonstrative Adjective: Indicates towards the noun that is meant such as this, such, those, etc. Example – Those books are new.
- Interrogative Adjectives: Are used to ask questions such as what, which, whose, etc. Example – Whose bag is this?
- Possessive Adjectives: Show the relation of a thing with someone such as her, my, their, etc. Example – This is my dress.
- Proper Adjectives: Are formed with Proper nouns, such as Christian, American, Punjabi, etc. Example – He is an American resident.
Comparison of Adjectives
There are three degrees of Comparison, Study the following table.
|useful||more useful||most useful|
|careless||more careless||most careless|
|beautiful||more beautiful||most beautiful|
Adjective Exercise/Worksheet for kids
Every Sunday in the newspaper there is a section for pets known as “Pet Pals” Pets are available for immediate and free adoption by caring families.
Woopsie: Beautiful pup, cute and cuddly, needs a home
Pongo: Newborn female pup, as white as snow, needs a loving home.
Sherry: Two-year-old black and white female dog, strong and sturdy, is available for adoption at farm houses.
Immy: Playful, naughty, sporty with beautiful eyes, needs a loving home.
Contact: Mrs. Poornima Toolsidas, 16, Wood Street, Kolkata.
Write all the words describing the pets.
|Group - A||Group - B|
|Name of Pet||Describing words|
In the above exercise, all the words in Group-B are adjectives. For example – beautiful, cute, cuddly, white, strong, etc.
Fill in the blanks with the describing words used above.
- Steel is _____ but gold is expensive.
- My sister has short hair but I have _____ hair.
- A lawyer wears a _____ coat and a white shirt.
- Tom is sick but John is a _____ boy.
- My puppy Tobby has _____ and _____ hair but my kitten has rough and dull hair.
Your friend has been to a circus show recently. She writes a letter to her brother describing the show. She has forgotten to add the adjectives. Help her to complete the letter.
Yesterday I went to the circus show with _____ of my classmates. We saw a _____ clown who was wearing a _____ and a _____ coloured dress. A _____ monkey was riding a _____ bicycle. A _____ bear was dancing. A _____, _____ elephant was playing with a _____ football. A _____ lion jumped through a circle of fire. I really enjoyed the snow.
Unscramble the words and write them in the blanks given below.
- Each child received an _____ gift. (xpeseneiv)
- Woolmer was a _____ man. (tsorng)
- Singapore is a _____ tourist country. (afmuos)
- Some of these children are _____. (ghtynau)
- This room has been decorated by my _____ daughter. (baeutiulf)
The words in the brackets are jumbled up. Write the correct words in the blanks.
- There is a _____ elephant in the zoo. (hiwte)
- It is a _____ and _____ day. (nsuny, irbhtg)
- The Red Fort is a _____ building made of _____ stone. (osufma, der)
- My father gave me a _____ bicycle and a _____ watch on my birthday. (wne, ovelly)
- The Atlantic is a _____ and _____ ocean. (pede, arlge)
The words you have written are all adjectives because they tell us something about the nouns next to them.
Match the adjectives in column A with the nouns in column B and write them below.
|1. Funny, short, thin||Dish|
|Expensive, big, interesting||clown|
|Wonderful, exciting, dangerous||book|
|green, fresh, long||trip|
|favourite, delicious, attractive||grass|
Adjectives for kids PDFAdjectives for kids
Adjectives for kids PDF (452 downloads)