Preposition For Class 6
Jump ahead to:
Prepositions are the words that are to link the nouns, pronouns with the different parts of the sentence. They are used to make the relationship between the sentence and the noun or pronoun. Some of the words that are used as prepositions are – by, at, in, on, across, under, with, of, between, behind, above, etc.
Examples of prepositions
- Ram sat on the chair.
- Shweta lost her bag at the beach.
- This book belongs to Martin.
- We were sitting under the tree.
- Radhe will be joining the gym by tomorrow.
- There are many clouds in the sky.
- Ramam lives near his Company.
- She drew the painting with colors.
- He walked across the lake.
- Rashmi is sitting between Raman and Sita.
Classification of Prepositions for class 6
Prepositions can be categorized into five types that are:
- Preposition of time
- Preposition of place
- Preposition for agent
- Preposition for direction
- Preposition for instrument
Let us study each of them in detail and understand the use of them in sentences.
1. Preposition of time
Prepositions are used to indicate the time or help to estimate when the thing has happened or going to happen. It is a little confusing because many prepositions can be used to indicate the time.
Some of the preposition words that are used to indicate the time are – in, on, at, before, after, during, etc.
Examples of prepositions of time in the form of sentences
- My brother was born on August 12, 2004.
- I will be in the office at 12 p.m.
- I was born after the Kargil war was over.
- The store of dairy products is open until midnight.
- We eat lunch in the afternoon.
2. Preposition of place
Prepositions are used to indicate the position of an object or to determine the place with respect to the object. It is a little bit confusing because many words that are used in the preposition of time can also be used in the preposition of place.
Some of the preposition words that are used to indicate the place are – on, over, under, inside, outside, in, at, above, below, etc.
Examples of prepositions of Place in the form of sentences
- The mobile is kept on the table.
- The child is playing under the table.
- The children are playing in the garden.
- I locked myself inside the room.
- Put the garlic bread over there.
3. Preposition for agent
Prepositions are used to connect the noun or pronoun with its action or workability or used to establish the relationship between the object and its doing.
Some of the preposition words that are used to indicate the relationship between nouns and their working are – by, with, etc.
Examples of the preposition of agent in the form of sentences
- This book is written by Khaleed Hoseini.
- The task is being given by his teacher.
- I am going to France tomorrow with my family.
- This room was being decorated by his friends.
- He was injured with the ball.
4. Preposition for direction
Prepositions are used to indicate about the person or thing is moving in which direction or it is used to define a path of the person or thing with respect to person or thing.
Some of the preposition words that are used to indicate the direction are – on, above, among, between, below, up, across, down, over, under, etc.
Examples of the preposition of the agent in the form of sentences
- The keys are placed on the table.
- He is moving along with the wind.
- The sun is above my head.
- My house is across from the hospital.
- I have a swimming pool above my house.
5. Preposition for instrument
Prepositions are used to define technologies and about the machinery or devices or it is then used to introduce the instruments or devices.
Some of the preposition words that are used to introduce the instruments or devices are – by, with, with the help of, on, etc.
Examples of prepositions for instruments in the form of sentences
- The children break the window with the ball.
- This open cannot be opened with these keys.
- He is making a hole in the wall with a drilling machine.
- I have finished my office work on the computer.
- He is more comfortable in writing by his pen.
I. Prepositions Exercise for class 6
Select the correct prepositions from the list to fill in the blanks.
in, off, on, from, by, under, through, on, of, over
1.The cat was hiding _________ the table.
2.The dog jumped ________ the counter.
3.Rishi drove _________ the bridge.
4.We went __________ the tunnel.
5.Ridhima got a package _________ her friend.
6.I like the songs _________ 90s.
7.They put the flowers __________ the door.
8.The pizza was placed __________ the table.
9.He first met him __________ 1987.
10.I was born __________ April 3, 2002.
II. Prepositions Exercises for class 6
Let us practice the prepositions by this interesting exercise and check outperformance. Fill in the blanks with correct prepositions.
- Diwali is __________ 4 November.
- Netaji Shubhash Chandra Bose lived ___________ the English rule.
- They have finished work __________ afternoon.
- Gandhiji was born ___________ 1869 and died ___________ 1948.
- I will call you ___________ the evening.
- Neelam’s birthday is ___________ 15 August.
- The train leaves Mumbai ___________ 6.00 am and reaches Bhopal ___________ 9.00 pm.
- She should be there ___________ tomorrow.
- Please come to my cabin ____________ 12.30 pm ___________ Monday.
- I will see you ____________ Wednesday ____________ 1.00 pm.
- at, by
III. Prepositions Exercise for class 6
Fill the correct prepositions in the blanks and judge your performance on your own.
- The switch is __________ the door.
- The cupboard is __________ the door.
- He got up ___________ 6:30 this morning.
- She gets up early ____________ the morning.
- My father got married _____________ on October 28, 1998.
- Shyam and I was first met ____________ the restaurant.
- Do you go out ____________ Sunday evening?
- Could you meet me _____________ Saturday morning?
- I think you like to play video games ____________ the evening?
- Let us have a meeting _____________ 5.30 tomorrow in the morning.
If you want to download Pdf of Prepositions click on the link given below.
Download pdf (10 downloads)